Friday, January 27, 2006

Similarities

Today is my mom's 60th birthday, but if she asks how you found out her age, you didn't hear anything from me! Me and my other siblings are throwing a surprise party for her at a restaurant in Burnsville tonight, and even my grandma and aunt from Kansas are coming up to help celebrate. I'm very excited about it as she deserves every bit of the fun and attention, not just today but every day.

My sister and I were looking through a box of my mom's pictures a couple of weeks ago to make up a photo display for the party, and judging from some of the photos, my mom (and my parents together) looked like she's had some crazy adventures when she was younger. It's amazing how much one picture can say.

Looking at my mom's college days and when she was married to my dad and they were living here and out in California, it makes me wish I knew my parents at those various stages in their life. I don't know many of their stories, or anything really about when they were married, and some of those stories I'm missing out on. It makes me wonder just how much I am like my parents. That's not to say I don't think I'm anything like my parents, but I want to know what things we had in common - like what they were involved in and what they were like when they were my age - if they had similar problems or joys, and see if I can relate. Overall, I'm more similar to my dad (if you want to know specifically how I'm more similar to him, just ask).

My siblings always make fun of me and say I'm a clone of my father, which I have been coming to the conclusion, good or bad, that I have many of his mannerisms; but at least I'll have youthful good looks and won't look a day over 40 until I'm probably 80, which more than most people can say!

I am definitely my parent's child, smoldering good looks and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha...it's true, you are a lot like dad and certain pictures make you look a LOT like him! You are correct brovine on one part...we will always look younger than we actually are : )

Rachel Irene said...

Have fun! And don't forget to tell your mom that I send my happy birthday wishes! And she doesn't look a day over 35!