Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Soundtrack of You

We make many happy memories during our time here on Earth, and a smell, a sight, or perhaps a song can make those periods from our life surface. We smile upon these memories - a time spent with friends or family, a first date, a vacation, a kiss - and then let out a sigh and relive the moment in our mind.

For me, the strongest tie I have to most of my memories is music. A particular song I hear can take me back to my bedroom at my host parent's apartment in Paris, overlooking Rue de Charonne and the bustling markets... to my small dorm room when all of my friends and I would cram in together like sardines and watch movies under mountains of pillows and blankets... or to the Boy's bed, laying together, hands intertwined in the blue early morning light. Compile these songs together, and you'd have my personal soundtrack.

If you had a personal soundtrack, what would be on your list? Here are a few tracks from mine (believe me, the list could go on and on):

"Kissing" by Bliss
"The Scientist" by Coldplay
"Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk
"Call On Me" - Eric Prydz vs. Retarded Funk Remix by Eric Prydz
"Fernando" by ABBA
"Stole" by Kelly Rowland
"Jump (For My Love)" by The Pointer Sisters
"Mr. Man" by Alicia Keys
"Goodbye Is All We Have" by Allison Krauss and Union Station
"Smoke" by Ben Folds Five
"Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child
"Winding Road" by Bonnie Sommerville
"Little Wing" by The Corrs
"Shine" by Cyndi Lauper
"Agnus Dei" by The Dale Warland Singers
"The Stone" by Dave Matthews Band
"Case of You" by Diana Krall
"Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray
"Proud" by Heather Small
"Beautiful" by India.Arie
"The Truth" by India.Arie
"Naked As We Came" by Iron & Wine
"Sodom, South Georgia" by Iron & Wine
"Mr. Big Stuff" by Jean Knight
"Home to Me" by Josh Kelley
"Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake
"Dreamer" by Ozzy Osbourne
"How Many Licks" by Li'l Kim
"Tu es mon autre" by Lara Fabian
"L'accordeoniste" by Edith Piaf
"Lady Marmalade" by Christina Aguilera, Li'l Kim, Pink, and Mya
"What's Your Fantasy" by Ludacris
"In The Waiting Line" by Zero 7
"Do What You Have To Do" by Sarah McLachlan
"New Slang" by The Shins
"Me and Julio" by Simon & Garfunkel
"Strange" by Tori Amos
"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve
"We're Going To Be Friends" by The White Stripes

2 comments:

Rachel Irene said...

*sigh* or it can take you back to a place where you once car danced at a stop light with a crazy Asain... oh the memories.

Al said...

I think that's the goal of my life and all my mix tapes (just ask the Tall Blonde Swede, who receives them all) is to compile my personal soundtrack. I'm getting there. Maybe someday I'll blog about it.

But props to you for including Edith Piaf :) who I've only ever heard elicit a "huh?" from people.