Friday, January 26, 2007

Shuffle

I put my iPod on shuffle just now, and I decided to write about the first 5 songs that it pulls up, and talk about one memory I have about that song... so here it goes!

1. "Tired And Lonely" from Way Markings (songs adapted from Dag Hammerskjold's diary) - Sung by The Choir of Christ Chapel
First of all, this makes me laugh so hard because out of 1,582 songs, my iPod decides to bring this one up first. This is part one of four, I think, of a piece we sang my sophomore year in Chapel Choir. We all hated it by the end, mainly because our crazy director with the lazy eye was so into this piece. She would always go into detail about how Dag Hammerskjold was the U.N. Secretary General and was such a great man; and people found his diary after he died in a plane crash in the Congo and wrote his words into music. Most of all we hated it because we were forced to practice singing and saying the letters "K" and "S", and our director would make us go over, and over, and over practicing the correct amount of force and annunciation we used with words containing those letters. Oy vey. With words like, "melt water trickles down the rocks" and how his "fingers are numb and knees tremble" - this song would make anyone want to plug their ears... but man, it brings back some funny memories.

2. "One Word" by Kelly Osbourne
Matt and I first heard this song at the Saloon. It was playing in the video bar, and I fell in love with it right away for some reason. When I finally downloaded it off iTunes, I noticed that there was some French being spoken in the background, but I could never really pick up on what they were saying because the music and Kelly's voice was too loud. Matt and I would pretend to know what they were saying in French and sing along, but it always just came out as whatever we wanted it to be with a heavy French accent. It is a good song, but it was one of those songs that I listened to again and again, so I got sick of it after a while. I haven't listened to it for quite some times... I forgot it is a fun song.

3. "Dream About You" by Keri Noble
I don't really have any one memory about this song, other than my friend Missy gave me a copy of Keri Noble's CD that this song is on. It does make me think a lot about friends that I have lost touch with through the years. And for some reason it always made me think of my ex-girlfriend (yes, I said girlfriend. I was "straight" for about 23 years...) Robin. I always felt like I left that relationship in a bad way, and I always regretted how that all ended and wish I could have gone back and done things differently. We are still friends today, but rarely see each other. This song is kind of, ok VERY, sad. It makes you think a little!

4. "Happy New Year B" from the original cast recording of "RENT"
Though I've never seen the stage production of "RENT", I did see the movie the day it came out. So my memory tied to this song is the movie. Matt and I went to see it in Eagan, and there were a large number of high schoolers and "Rent Heads". The high schoolers were all the theater kids and when the movie started they practically gave a standing ovation and I wanted to turn around and give them all a stern, adult talking-to, but decided not to. Anyway, this was the first time I had actually heard the whole sound track in one sitting. I hadn't heard all of the songs before either, and this was when I fell in love with the music from the show.

5. "Estampie Natalis" sung by The Gustavus Choir
I loved this song. We sang it for Christmas in Christ Chapel my senior year when I was in G-Choir. It was a good song, and it was kind of different and fun. My favorite part was the end, because we had bells, a violin, and a tambourine that all went nuts at the end... plus we had to be very shrill and slide up from low to high, so we were practically screaming at the end. Good times. The tenors started this piece alone and I remember we had so much trouble getting off on the right foot with this song sometimes. After we had practiced it long enough and should have had it pitch perfect, we would still get it wrong sometimes and get that look from Dr. Aune... the one that looked like the flesh was about to melt off his face and he was going to come up and shake us to death. It's times like that when I miss singing in choir.

2 comments:

Missy said...

OH GOD funniest post ever!!! Poor Dag, slavng away in the Republic of CONGO. At least he wrote Way Markings, or Markings of THE WAY.

I forgot about Estampie Natalis....awww!!!!!!!!

Best Choir memories. College was so fun....

Missy said...

ON THE BOOKSHELF OF LIFE GOD IS A USEFUL WORK OF REF-ER-ENCE ALWAYS AT HAND BUT SELCOM CONSULTED, (in a sad voice) but seldom consulted....