Thursday, January 11, 2007

Oui, oui, le resistance!

I saw protesters today! Alive and kicking protesters!!! I couldn't believe it! And here in Eagan... home of our Republican governor! I thought, how French! Protesting is like a national sport in France and ranks right behind soccer. Oh la la!

They were protesting the proposal of sending 21,500 more troops over to Iraq. I was so proud of my little Minnesotans! I thought one of them was standing at the off ramp on 35E, but after getting closer and reading the man's sign, I realized he was just a drifter looking to work for food or something. The light was green so I didn't stop to throw some change at him, but like I would have actually done that had the light been red.

I didn't watch the President's speech, but I certainly read about it in the New York Times and Washington Post. It's amazing how many people are not pleased with the troop surge as well as extending current soldiers' tour of duty. Not only the protesters I saw today, but also our governor Timmy and many other Republicans serving in our nation's capital don't approve of the new plan. Personally I think Bush-whacker's admittance to not sending more troops initially and pretty much admitting we are losing is way over due and it comes too late.

"... Senator Chuck Hagel, Republican of Nebraska, said the president’s policy was “very, very dangerous." DUH.

And when he was speaking to Condoleeza Rice: "Matter of fact, I have to say, Madame Secretary, that I think this speech given last night by this president represents the most dangerous policy blunder in this country since Vietnam, if it’s carried out,” said Mr. Hagel, who was seriously wounded in Vietnam. “I will resist it.”

Oy vey. This is enough to make my head spin. I was reading the Star Tribune online this morning and they interviewed the family of a friend of a friend as they were watching the President's speech last night. Their son, Ryan, is fighting in Iraq leading special convoys. He was supposed to go to Iraq and serve as a medic, but was assigned to lead convoys due to his knack for spotting roadside bombs. Scary. He was supposed to come home in March from his year long tour of duty, but now his tour has been extended for an unknown period of time. I have met Ryan's twin brother, Eric, a few times over the years, and Eric is getting married in the fall, and there is a good chance that his best man and brother won't be home for it.

I said before that I didn't watch the speech, and that was due to the fact that A.) I didn't really want to since most news stations already gave a run down of what he was going to talk about; and B.) I was watching the movie "Steel Magnolias" instead. I love that movie. Makes me cry every time! Plus I'd much rather watch a sappy dramedy about six southern belles, who at one point describe their gay-dar as any man named Nick, Steve, or Randy who has track lighting installed in their house.

No comments: