Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Co-workers = Gross

1. The Nail Clipper - Since when is it appropriate to clip one's nails at work? I have serveral co-workers who clip their nails at work, and I find it utterly repulsive. Not that my co-workers are the classiest bunch, but still - it's disgusting. I hear that clipping noise and it makes me want to walk over to them and shove the clippings up their nose (while wearing rubber gloves, mind you). I am deathly afraid that someday a clipping will take flight and find its way into my coffee or my hair. Just the thought of it makes me want to vomit a little in my mouth. My friend, Dena, in Chicagoland regales me with stories of her co-worker, Arthur, who clips his nails almost daily with scissors. No matter how many times she throws his scissors away, he manages to find another pair and clip away. So apparently it is a universal thing and not just limited to Transport America. If they continue clipping at work, I think I'll start peeing in the middle of the row I sit in. Yes, that might be just as bad as clipping. I'll whip out my who-who-dilly, start spinning around real fast, and pee.

2. The Walking Air Freshener - Strong perfume... whew! I have a co-worker who, I believe, dips herself in lilac perfume every morning. It is so over-powering that my eyes start to water the instant I sit down at my desk in the morning. The smell evetually wears off around 2pm, but those first 7 hours are complete torture. The smell eventually gets to be a cross between a lilac, the Como Zoo Conservatory, and an ash tray. I'm pretty sure there is something about wearing strong perfume in our employee rule book. I'll have to investigate.

3. The Incubus of Viral and Bacterial Plague - Co-workers who don't wash their hands... I cannot tell you how ill this makes me. It freaks me out more than #1 on this list. These people really make me want to wear a biohazard suit to work every day. You know who I am talking about! You're in the bathroom minding your P's and Q's and you hear/see the co-worker walk away from the urinal or stall, and walk right on out the door! At that point I freeze, start to panic a little inside, and hyperventilate. I feel so dirty that I must stand at the sink and practically scrub my hands raw, dry my hands with four paper towels, and then use those paper towels to grab the door handle and walk out. Just writing this gives me the heebie jeebies. And if I see who the culprit is, I have a hard time communicating or making eye contact with them the rest of the day knowing what they've done.

I believe the Transportation Industry harbors many of these types of people listed above. They are a weird, crude, rude, and GROSS bunch of people sometimes. Not everyone here is weird, crude, rude, and gross... but that group of normal people has a far smaller population.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for everything stated here as I am a Transport American too!

Jason Thomas said...

As to your Number 2 point, here in Canadia, we have laws against that sort of thing. Not rules, mind you. Laws. I kid you not, there are postings all over (hospitals, libraries, the mall) about not wearing scents.

Apparently the first thing socialized healthcare gets you is hypersensative scent reactions. Followed closely by peanut allergies.