Friday, November 10, 2006

Crayon High Society

I went to Target last night to buy my 2 year old nephew a birthday present. I decided to get him some markers and crayons since he LOVES to color. He'll make you sit down next to him, patting the chair, gesturing for you to sit down next to him and color along side him - and he does not let you get up until he says you're done coloring. He can be quite the authoritative little bugger sometimes.

As I was standing in the crayon aisle of Target, I was overwhelmed with the different amounts and colors of crayons you can get nowadays. Mauvelous, Macaroni and Cheese, Mango Tango, Inch Worm. These are just a few of the colors they have now. They even have a 150 count crayon package with all of their colors neatly arranged in a round plastic tote that spins around for your convenience while selecting a color.

I remember the time when your elementary school status depended on the amount of crayons you had. The hot commodity was the coveted 64 count box of Crayola's WITH the built in crayon sharpener in the back of the box. You would have to keep a pretty close eye on who was borrowing your crayons and practically obtain collateral from your peers until they gave your crayon back, lest you don't get that crayon back or they try and fool you by giving you the wrong color back. Your Crayola's could make you or break you back then.

I decided on a happy medium for my nephew's present - I got him the 96 count box of Crayola's WITH the crayon sharpener in the back. I figured this should be enough crayons to last him a while until he eats them all like any other normal kid.

P.S. And I'm sure everyone remembers the episode of Mr. Rogers when he tours the Crayola factory and showed us how crayons were made. That was such a sweet episode.

3 comments:

Missy said...

BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST episode of Mr. Rogers (besides the one where you learn how peanut butter is made)

Rachel Irene said...

*sigh* those were the days. When my life consisted of re-ordering the blue hues, and whether they should go next to the black, or be moved up next to the purples. And then deciding to change the whole layout the next day. *sigh* Good times.

Anonymous said...

contrary to popular belief, that was actually a sesame street segment. check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJJcZ4BGPnc

(I know, youtube is hardly the gospel, but I remember it being from sesame street, too.)

I'm gonna second missy on the peanut butter episode. that rocked. second only to when he actually got the little houses from the land of make-believe down from his kitchen shelves and played with them. I loved that.

my other favorite sesame street segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-egPia2JQo