Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Limbo

I read my friend Missy’s blog last week and she had a very insightful post about packing and organizing for a life that hasn’t even started yet. After college, like Missy, I started buying household items for a future apartment or house, and packing them up along with other personal belongings hoping that someday soon I would be moving away and on my own.

Later that same day I got home from work and stood in my room looking around at what I have collected over the months since moving back home from college in mid-2004. I realized I had bought a lot of stuff for a future residence. I bought a big boy bed, a bookshelf, a chair, a computer desk, numerous household decorations such as pictures, vases, lamps (I seriously have more lamps than I can shake a stick at – it’s kind of a vice of mine. I love cool lamps… it’s weird, I know), artsy stuff from Ikea, mirrors, and candles. I had such grandiose dreams – living at home with my mom for a short period of time and then moving out with a roommate after having lived at home for 6 months and living happily ever after. That dream soon faded away into oblivion and I stopped buying and organizing for something that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

After living at home for a while, I began to realize that I would not have the ability to move out on my own because a.) I had no more options for roommates as all my friends had found other people to live with, and b.) I was not making enough money to live on my own without a roommate because rent is so outrageous for a one bedroom. Living at home really isn’t all that bad. I can’t complain because my set up is really quite ideal. Cheap rent, I have the entire lower level of my mom’s house to myself, free cable, free internet, free utilities… and I can close off half of the lower level where my bedroom and bathroom are from the rest of the house. And besides, I’m practically living at Matt’s apartment anyway, so I am hardly ever actually living at my house.

I had been off the home decorating kick and buying things for a while until this past weekend when Matt and I went and toured some of the homes in the Parade of Homes booklet. He and I looked at some townhouses in Woodbury. If he and I end up staying in Minnesota, we would more than likely get a townhouse – and just looking for fun gave me the itch to start anticipating a move again – and the move would not even happen until October or November. Then Monday night my mom and I went to Target together and she bought my sister some new dishes for her birthday and she convinced me to buy this lamp (like I need anymore lamps!) that was on clearance. We finished splurging on household items and went home and I started collecting items from my old bedroom upstairs and organizing them into big Rubbermaid containers.

I don’t know if it’s me just wanting to move, or if it’s my Bree VanDeKamp/Martha Stewart obsession with keeping things organized, or if it’s just the Spring Cleaning phase coming into play… Since I can’t quite put my finger on what the deal is, it makes me feel like I’m in limbo – and it’s not just the whole living situation above, but my career and future as well. There are some things I know I am certain of at this point, but not everything. I think a lot of people my age are in limbo at this time of their life. I guess I just have to wait and see what comes my way and hope for the best.

2 comments:

Rachel Irene said...

That's all we can ever do, it just wait. Our time will come, and our organization will have paid off. I'm already thinking about starting to pack for an unknown destination now, and my lease isn't up until May.

People like you and I like to nestle. We like to set up a home and be surrounded with things that we know are ours, and that can stay there. I have many household things in labeled boxes as well. I didn't bother to bring them to the apartment, because it feels like it's not really my home.

I can't wait until we both have a place to truly call our own. And maybe we'll be neighbors!

Missy said...

If lamps are your vice, I think mine is dishes. I have platinum china AND another set of new dishes. Probably between you and Teepers and me we could furnish one hell of a house...